Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-10-21
|Subject: Project Manager, Housing for All Program, Ashoka Arab World Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 am|| |
Housing for All
Terms of Reference
Housing for All's mission is to revolutionize the housing industry in Egypt's urban and peri-urban slum areas, by mobilizing existing actors from various sectors of society to contribute their efforts and relevant expertise to solve the challenge of affordable, environmentally-sustainable housing in low-income communities, while concurrently addressing widespread unemployment among youth.
HFA units 5 main actors (microfinance institutions, private sector, universities, communities and youth) to upgrade and improve existing informal housing in four squatter areas located in Cairo, Minya, Beni Suef and Southern Sinai. By creating a scenario where the interests of each group are met, and where each group's expertise is leveraged for the benefit of program objectives, the HFA model presents potential for replication throughout Egypt, the Arab region and beyond.
Micro loans, administered by the existing microfinance institutions (MFIs) of Ashoka Fellows, will enable trusted community members to pay for the materials and labor needed to upgrade their homes in stages. Through partnerships with the private sector, HFA will offer construction materials to loan recipients at a rate lower than the retail value. With the help of engineers and university students specializing in architecture, engineering, and design, the program will improve building methods in squatter areas and promote environmentally-sustainable methods in housing construction. Innovative sustainable designs suitable for HFA clients will be identified through an international competition, and private sector partners will be encouraged to produce environmentally sustainable construction materials.
HFA is an initiative enabled by Ashoka, the world's largest association of social entrepreneurs. HFA will operate from centers placed within existing Microfinance Organizations, with one MFO acting as the managing director.
Position Title: Project Manager
Employment: Full Time
The Project Manager will report to the Ashoka Arab World Regional Director and Focal Point for HFA, and be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the project, fundraising for and implementing the expansion of the project into new geographic areas, and developing new partnerships. Responsibilities will include the following elements: managing the project coordinators, supervising activities, training staff of NGOs on the new model, engaging new private sector partners, investors and microfinance NGO's.
A. Development (months 1-12)
1. Mobilizing significant investment for low-income housing from for-profit and non-profit investors through fundraising
a. Write proposals, partnership frameworks and budgets to secure further funding or strategic support in order to sustain and expand Housing for All
b. Develop and expand existing relations and partnerships with main funders, informing them of progress made so far and exploring new avenues for investment
2. Starting up services of Housing for All Centers operating in existing MFO’s, which will be sustainable right from the start.
a. Initiate Microloans at MFO's as soon as program there is in place
3. Selecting, engaging, negotiating and signing legal agreements with key partners at both national and grassroots level
a. Signing partnerships with appropriate universities
b. Signing partnerships with appropriate private sector partners (consultants, banks, construction companies, building material companies)
4. Developing and refining capacity-building services
a. Hiring and training other project staff
i. Consultants (Senior Engineer, Senior Accountant and Legal Advisor)
ii. Staff HFA centers (Credit Manager, Executive Secretary, Training Manager, Accountant)
5. The Project Manager will concentrate its efforts on the start-up phase, addressing structural issues with government and mobilizing the resources required to rapidly scale-up.
B. HFA Project Management (12-30)
1. Finalize procedures/formats for MFI loans at remaining MFO's
2. Implement and systematize sales of construction materials distributed by private sector partners in Bottom of Pyramid packaging
3. Oversee and provide in-kind training by the HFA team for recipients of HFA loans to ensure correct usage
4. Monitor further project implementation
5. Support the review and improvement of existing trainers and materials.
6. Monitor the outcome of HFA home improvements against granted credit for community members
7. Work on scaling up HFA centers by engaging more funding from investors and building materials at a reduced cost from private sector partners to expand the number of microcredit loans and including other MFIs
C. HFA Project Management (After 5 Years)
1. Oversee selling of shares as Housing For All Centers will change into Housing Cooperatives
Shares will be sold;
51% available to hosting Micro Finance Organization
14% available to the Private Sector
35% available to Community Members
2. Implement training-program in advocacy and legal rights with all partner MFIs, enabling community members that are shareholders of Housing Cooperatives to organize and lobby for land rights, advocating for the appropriate policy changes.
Position open to Egyptian nationals only
B.A. in a relevant field, preferably in Social Sciences, Business, Economics, or Political Science
Experience & Skills
- Minimum 5 years of experience in project management
- Minimum 5 years of experience in microfinance
- Prior experience working with Egyptian government
- Familiarity with the NGO sector in Egypt
- Demonstrable understanding of Microfinance
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Applicant must have strong initiative, independence, creativity, and sound judgment. They must be service-oriented and flexible, with excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of key concerns and challenges facing Egyptian housing sector and slum inhabitants (Preferred)
- Knowledge of low-cost building techniques (Preferred)
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English required
Monthly remuneration will be 7.000 L.E.
Please send a C.V., Cover Letter, and brief writing sample to:
Development Officer, Ashoka Arab World