Housing for All
Terms of Reference
Private Sector Business Development Consultant
Housing for All's mission is to revolutionize the housing industry in Egypt's urban and peri-urban slum areas, by mobilizing existing actors from various sectors of society to contribute their efforts and relevant expertise to solve the challenge of affordable, environmentally-sustainable housing in low-income communities, while concurrently addressing widespread unemployment among youth.
HFA units 5 main actors (microfinance institutions, private sector, universities, communities and youth) to upgrade and improve existing informal housing in four squatter areas located in Cairo, Minya, Beni Suef and Southern Sinai. By creating a scenario where the interests of each group are met, and where each group's expertise is leveraged for the benefit of program objectives, the HFA model presents potential for replication throughout Egypt, the Arab region and beyond.
Micro loans, administered by the existing microfinance institutions (MFIs) of Ashoka Fellows, will enable trusted community members to pay for the materials and labor needed to upgrade their homes in stages. Through partnerships with the private sector, HFA will offer construction materials to loan recipients at a rate lower than the retail value. With the help of engineers and university students specializing in architecture, engineering, and design, the program will improve building methods in squatter areas and promote environmentally-sustainable methods in housing construction. Innovative sustainable designs suitable for HFA clients will be identified through an international competition, and private sector partners will be encouraged to produce environmentally sustainable construction materials.
HFA is an initiative enabled by Ashoka, the world's largest association of social entrepreneurs. HFA will operate from centers within existing Microfinance Organizations, with one MFO acting as the managing director.
Position Title: Private Sector Development Executive
Responding to: HFA Project Manager
Employment: Full Time
The Private Sector Development Executive will be responsible for engaging relevant private sector partners that can offer services needed to implement project activities towards the project objectives, and fundraising for the project’s implementation. Engagement strategies will aim to sell HFA to potential partners, emphasizing how slum inhabitants present an unexplored market to distribute their services.
This will involve the following elements:
- Creating a business strategy to engage partners, fundraise and sell HFA
- Identifying potential corporate sector partners (national and international construction companies, building material companies, engineering companies) & develops sales tactics & priorities.
- Creating a database of potential partners
- Consults with project manager and Ashoka Fellows to determine parameters of needs for HFA:
o Construction materials (Cement, Sand, Tiles, Paint, Pipes, Plumbing Fixtures, Tools & Equipment)
o HFA Office supplies (Computers, stationary, furniture – possibly in-kind donations)
o Construction services (trainers and consultants for civil engineering, plumbing, carpenters, dry-flooring)
- Creating meeting presentation packages to entice potential partners (promotional material, flyer, market analysis, data on investment assessment of particular slum area)
- Creating well-written presentations, business proposals, budgets and partnership frameworks.
- Solicits businesses from list of prospective partners, following leads submitted by project manager, referred or developed through own connections or resources.
- Following up with business leads and co-ordinating with the project manager to make sure potential business offers will continue to correspond with HFA needs (especially as the initiative expands and will include more MFIs and be implemented in more slum areas)
- Initiate and develop corporate alliances for promotional and fundraising activities, and, if feasible, establish a corporate advisory council
Position open to Egyptian nationals only
B.A. in a relevant field, preferably in Marketing, Business, Economics, Engineering or Organizational Development
Experience & Skills
- Minimum 5 years of experience in sales/business development in Egypt
- Familiarity with private sector companies working in construction and/or building materials in Egypt
- Knowledge of best sales practices and modalities.
- Excellent presentation, communication and IT skills
- Excellent organization skills
- Strong motivation and result oriented
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
- Applicant must have strong initiative, independence, creativity, and sound judgment. They must be service-oriented and flexible,
- Knowledge of low-cost building techniques (preferred)
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English required
Monthly remuneration will be by commission, based on business deals the consultant is able to close.
Please send a C.V., Cover Letter, and brief writing sample to:
Development Officer, Ashoka Arab World